Sugars: granulated sugar, dextrose, glucose syrup, invert sugar
Milk, cream - Milk powder - Stabilisers, emulsifiers & thickening agents - Various couvertures
Italian ice cream or ‘gelato’ can be divided into two basic recipes:
• water-based gelato (fruit, tea infusions, etc.)
• milk-based gelato (creams, etc.)
The basic ingredients are:
water, sugars, milk, cream, eggs, fresh fruit, natural flavouring ingredients and additives in compliance with food legislation
Ice cream is a mixture of raw materials (milk, cream, eggs, sugar, fruit, etc.) that, under the influence of cold, thickens and obtains a paste-like consistency. The technical level of your ice cream mixture determines the number of raw materials you need.
Non-fat milk solids: 7-9%
Total sugar content: 18-22%
Total solids content: 39-43%
FP (Freezing Point): 250-280
SP (Sweetening Power): 17-19%
Used couverture: 15-20%
Pasteurisation of the mixture
1. Stir the liquid ingredients together and heat the mixture up to 40°C
- Meticulously measure out the quantities of all the ingredients in your gelato recipe.
- Add the following ingredients to the pasteuriser at +4°C:
- Fresh whole milk
- All liquid sugars (i.e. invert sugar, honey...)
2. Blend all the ingredients in powder form together and add them to the mixture
- At +40°C add the following ingredients and stir them together:
- Milk powder
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered glucose syrup
- Bring the temperature of the mixture up to +72/+75°C and pasteurise it for 15 seconds.
4. Add the couverture and homogenise
- Add the unmelted couverture and homogenise the mixture while rapidly lowering its temperature to +4°C. Let it mature at +4°C for 4 to 6 hours.
5. Cool rapidly
6. Let the mixture mature
Making the ice cream
1. Churn the ice cream
- Pour the mixture in the ice cream machine and churn it at -5°C for 5 to 10 minutes.
(2. Add alcohol at -5°C)
3. Extrude the ice cream from the ice cream machine
4. Harden the ice cream in the blast freezer
- Place the mixture in the blast freezer to harden it. If you want to store your delicious chocolate gelato in a display counter, bring its temperature down to -14°C. If you want to store it in a freezer, bring it down to -18°C.
5. Sell the ice cream or store it (in a display counter)